Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Yarn Along

Joining in with Ginny at Small Things with a yarn along


What I'm knitting? I'm working on a little girl's sweater that I found on ravelry.  It is my first project of this type but it seems to be going a lot faster than I thought it would although if you look closely you can find quite a few mistakes.  I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

What I'm reading? Designer Genes by Steven Potter.  A very interesting book on how we are (or soon will be) able to control what genes are children have.  I find this intriguing for 3 reasons.
1) I am amazed at how far science has come from Mendel's studies to be able to actually define each gene in the human genome and possibly be able to use this information to control specific characteristics in humans.
2)  I am in awe of the wonders of the human body.  The fact that so few genes can code for all the functions and workings of the entire body is just amazing and mind boggling.  I feel that this is something that points to the fact that there must be some divine inspiration to creation.
3) To tell the truth what I am reading terrifies me.  It terrifies me that humans will have this much power.  I know that this information can be used for a lot of good but I know it could also be used for a lot of harm and destruction when it is used for selfish reasons.  I just can't see how the ability to choose the genes that future generations have will not lead into some kind of problem in the future.

Read more about thought that I had from this book here.