Friday, August 17, 2012

Quick Takes #4


Open and closed boxes by Rfc1394 - Two images, one of a closed, sealed box, and the other of an open box. There are also 1, 2, 4, 16 and 64 sealed box images in this collection; this image is considered as the 1 sealed box.
Photo Source
Well I'm back to quick takes after a few busy weeks of packing, moving all my belongings 100 miles, a family vacation and then unpacking everything I own.  So here are some of my thoughts from the past few weeks.
--- 1 ---
Why does it take so much longer to pack then to unpack?  It took weeks to pack everything up into boxes and only a little more than a day to unpack it all.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it didn't take that long for me to unpack everything but I still can't figure out why it took that long to pack it all.

--- 2 ---
lamp by klainen - A slightly edited lamp from the previous version made by gustavorezende
Photo Source
All rooms should have at least 1 overhead light that is operated by a light switch by the door.  I came to this conclusion when I came back to my new apartment alone for the first time since dropping off all my stuff at 9 o'clock at night.  It turns out my new apartment has only 4 overhead lights; 2 in the bathroom, one in the kitchen and one in the small hallway connecting the kitchen and the hallway.  This meant that first I had to find my way around piles of boxes and furniture through the living room to get to the kitchen where I finally found a light switch that turned on a light.  Then I realized that neither of the two lamps that we owned were in any of the boxes in the kitchen.  This meant that I had to feel my way through unpacking boxes in the almost completely dark living room.  When I finally found a lamp I realized that I faced yet another challenge, finding an outlet in one of the dark rooms.  My work was successful and my husband came home to a dimly lit apartment and a trip to Target for some more lamps was planed for the next morning.

--- 3 ---

I used the magic eraser cleaning sponge for the first time and I am quite amazed.  I'm not sure quite how it works but it definitely works.  My only guess is that they contain some horribly dangerous chemical.  Either way I was able to get our old apartment a lot cleaner than I though it could ever be (I was also able to get our new apartment pretty clean).

--- 4 ---

As I began to unpack at our new apartment, I realized how many white, empty wall that it had.  I don't know why this wasn't an issue at our old apartment but I really feel like I need to hang something on the walls.  Any inexpensive ideas?  I don't want to spend to much money because I don't know how long we will be here.

--- 5 ---
Photo Source

When driving you should always beware of Uhaul trucks.  They are often driven by people with not experience driving anything larger than a minivan.  They are not professional truck drivers.  Give them space!
--- 6 ---

Having air conditioning is so nice.  That's all I have to say about that.

--- 7 ---
I just love getting to know a new town.  Walking around the streets, visiting the library, even going to the grocery store.  Everything is so exciting.  I don't want this feeling to go away.  I think I'm really going to like this town.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!