Sunday, February 26, 2012

Matthew 13:7

The Parable of the Sower

Matthew 13:7
Some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it.

Later in the chapter Jesus explains this parable.

Matthew 13:22
The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word, but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word and it bears no fruit.

What does this mean to us today?  It seems like there are always thing choking God out of our lives.  So many distractions, so many deadlines, so many forms of entertainment that are all blocking our view of our Lord.  There are so many things filling up our lives and our minds that it seems like we have no room for the Lord at all.

What are we to do about this? 

I feel that the first thing to do it to identify what the thorns are in our lives.  What is choking the Lord out of our lives?  What is blocking our view of the Lord?  It seems like often times we don't even realize something is a thorn.  Once we can recognize that something is a thorn in our lives it is much easier to clear it out.  This lenten season is the perfect time to identify our distractions and worldly anxieties and focus on the Lord.  

What is a thorn in my life?

I feel that my biggest thorn is online tv shows.  They are always there and always entertaining but oftentimes pull me away from the Lord by sucking up my time and filling my head with thoughts that block the Lord from my view.

What are some thorns in your lives?


Dear Lord, Help me to clear the thorns out of my life so I can focus on you.



Please join me linking up with Graceful to read some really great reflections 
from the scripture that we can use all week!