Sunday, January 16, 2011

Luke 1:38


Luke 1:38
Mary said, “Behold I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done according to your word.” Then the angel departed from her.

This is quite a statement that Mary makes.  She has just been told by the angel Gabriel that not only will she have a son but he will be the son of God.  Anyone else would have held back and had their doubts but not her.  Not only does she say yes but she completely gives herself to the Lord.  She doesn’t just say, “Ok just this once I will follow along”, or “I’ll do just this for you but nothing more.” She says “I am your servant, I am yours.”  She completely turns herself over to the Lord.  She has such faith that she is able to welcome anything that the Lord has planned for her.  She knows that whatever the Lord has planned for her is worth saying yes to.
Mary has the faith to completely give her life over to the Lord with out knowing exactly what he has in store for her.  I feel that this is something that we should be striving to do in our own lives.  Wouldn’t it be great if we had the faith to completely give ourselves to the Lord and say “I don’t know exactly what you have planned for me or exactly what I should be doing but I know that your plan for me is better than any plan that I could make myself so I am putting my life in your hands.  I am your servant.”

Dear Lord, give me the strength and the faith to completely give my life to you.