Sunday, May 15, 2011

Exodus 16:23

Exodus 16:23
Tomorrow is a day of complete rest, the sabbath, sacred to the Lord.

In this passage Moses is instructing the Israelites about collecting manna in the desert.  They were given manna six days a week.  On the sixth day they were to collect enough manna for the next two days so they could devote the seventh day to the Lord.  If they did not prepare and collect enough food on Saturday they would not be given more on the sabbath.  In verse 29 the Lord tells Moses that " on the seventh day everyone is to stay home and no one is to go out."
As Catholics today we are to observe the sabbath and spend it as a day of rest.  I would like to look more into how I could better be using the sabbath but that will have to wait for another time.  What I want to look at now is something that often happens to me.  Sunday comes along and although I would like to rest I have to many things to do that just have to get done before Monday.  I want to spend Sunday as a time to rest and spend time with the Lord and my family but I couldn't possibly because there are somethings that just need to be done.  This is true.  There are things that need to be done by a certain time.  I may have work that I need to get done before Monday and I may have laundry that I need to get done before the week starts just as the Israelites needed to have food collected for each day.  But God didn't say "Its ok you don't have to devote the seventh day to the Lord, you have work to do."  No, he told them to do their work on the sixth day so they could observe the sabbath on the seventh day.  This is what I have to do.  I know on Monday that Sunday is for the Lord, resting and family and friends, not for work.  If I keep this in mind all week I should be able to get my work done by Saturday so I am able to rest on Sunday.  If I don't think of the Lord all week Sunday is going to come around and I am not going to have any time to rest.  I need to take the advise that Moses gave the Isrealites and do my work that I would normally do on Sunday on Saturday or earlier in the week.  I can't use the excuse that I can't rest because I have things that need to be done anymore.  I know that Sunday is coming and I need to have my work done before then.

Dear Lord, Help me to prepare for the Lord's day throughout the week so Sunday can be a day of rest.  Help me to use Sunday as a day to grow closer to you and to grow in our love.