Saturday, June 2, 2012

1 John 4:16


I love to study, learn about and discuss my Catholic faith.  The teachings, the history and current events related to my faith, but I am still always amazed at how much I don't know.  Very often I will be having a conversation/ debate with someone and I really don't know the answer or explanation.  I really can't explain why the Church teaches something that it does or I can't give references to support a particular teaching or I can't explain why the bible says certain things.  The 'opposition' makes some very good points.  Sometimes their view makes perfect sense.  I believe that the Church teaches truth but I often can't really give reasons why? 

This upsets me.

I start to doubt myself. 

Why do I believe this?

How can I believe in this kind of God?

But then I come to a simple truth that gives me true faith again.  "God is Love"  It is that simple.  "God is Love"  When you keep that at the core of your life, your relationships and your faith everything else just seems to make sense.  "God is Love"  We know Jesus'  teachings are truth because He is Love and we know that His teachings are good because He is Love.  He is not simply loving or full of love but He is Love.  I just can't see anything more perfect than this.  This gives me all the reassurance and explanation that I need.  

God is Love.  (1 John 4:16)

What comforts do you get out of this simple but so very true statement?

Dear Lord, Help me to never doubt your truths.