Sunday, December 11, 2011

Matthew 5:8

Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.

The Sermon on the Mount, in my opinion one of the most beautiful sections of the bible.  It is packed full of beautiful truths and are still so very relevant in my life today and they are so poetically written.
It starts with The Beatitudes.  A perfect example of this beauty and truth.  One line stands out to me tonight.

Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.

How can I have a clean heart?  By making sure that there is nothing on it that will make it dirty.  My heart should be focused on the Lord.  When I fill my heart on Earthly things that will pull me away from the Lord it becomes dirty.  I can not expect to spend my day filling my heart with the mindless chatter that surrounds me and then be able to clearly see the Lord.  This verse reminds me that in order to see God in the Kingdom of Heaven (or even to be able to form a relationship with him now on Earth) I need to keep my heart focus on Him.

Dear Lord, Help me to keep my heart clean and focused on you.