Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Genesis 12-13

Genesis 12 and 13

I know I am just beginning the story of Abraham but already I am struck by his obedience to the Lord.  Chapter 12 starts out with the Lord telling Abram to "Go forth from the land of you kinsfolk and from your father's house to a land that I will show you."  Then is verse 4 it states that "Abram went as the Lord directed him."  The Lord tells him to leave his home and everything that he knows and he goes.  He continues to move as the Lord directs him.  The Lord promise him land and a great nation but Abram does not see the results of this promise, he sees famine and suffering, but still he follows the Lord's directions.  Even in these first two chapters he shows great faith as he follows the Lord without any hard proof of what he will get out of what he is doing or that God will follow through on his word.  
I know I could use a little more of this kind of faith and obedience in my spiritual life and in my day to day life.  There are many things that I know are true not because I can prove that they are true but because someone who I trust told me that they are true.  I know the core of the earth is a hot ball of iron and nickel not because I can personally prove it or because I have seen it but because I have learned it from trusted sources.  This is the same way that we have to treat many aspects of our faith.  We may not completely understand a teaching of the Church but we know it is true and accept it because we trust and believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Dear Lord, Please grant me the grace to have the faith and obedience that Abraham had.