Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Genesis 22

Genesis 22

Every time I read this story all I can think about is what amazing faith Abraham had.  I'm really not sure if much else can compare to the faith and trust in God that Abraham has in this story.  I know I already wrote about Abraham's faith but I really don't think anything compares to this.  Abraham has been waiting and waiting for his promised son and when he is finally given a son the Lord directs him to offer up his son as a burnt offering.  The Lord promised Abraham countless descendants from Isaac but now Abraham is told to sacrifice all this for the Lord.  And he follows without a question.  I would not have had nearly this much faith.  I would have said "nope, I finally have my son you are not going to take him away now."  This sounds like some kind of cruel joke.  But instead of reacting like I would Abraham puts all his trust and faith in the Lord and proceeds to tie up his son on the alter for the offering.  Abraham is not showing his dislike of his son but his immense trust in the Lord.  Abraham trusts in the Lord so much even when what the Lord commands sounds ridiculous and just the opposite of what he wants done, he still follows the Lord's comands.  

Dear Lord, Please grant me the grace to have the faith and trust in the Lord that Abraham had.