Thursday, July 14, 2011

Psalm 23:1

Psalm 23:1
The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.

As I walk through the mall and look in the stores and watch the other people.  I sure feel like I am lacking things.  I am lacking that nice skirt in the store window.  I am lacking a new pair of sneakers.  I am lacking an expensive phone like the one that the person is using as they walk by me.  I am lacking the new art supplies that I glance at as I walk past the craft store. I am lacking the nice sweater that the manikin is wearing in the store window.  I am lacking the ice cream cone that a little boy is eating as he walks through the mall and just think about all the books that I realize I am lacking as I walk past the bookstore.

After even a quick walk in the mall I feel as if I am lacking quite a few thing that seem to be essential for life.  

There is no way that I could afford all of the things that a walk through the mall shows me that I am lacking.

But am I really lacking anything?  I have an amazing husband, wonderful family and friends, a comfortable place to live, food to eat, a good job and most importantly I have a God who loves me.  When I look at it this way I'm pretty sure that I'm not lacking anything.  With the Lord as my shepherd I know that there will be nothing that I am truly lacking.  

Sometimes I have to remind myself of this.  I see all these things that other people may have or things that I could buy and I feel that they are necessities and without them my life is somehow lacking.  I hear the constant voice of society telling me that more stuff is better.  I have to remind myself that as long as I have the Lord as my shepherd there will be nothing that I lack.

Dear Lord, Help me to not fall into the trap of consumerism.  Help me to not be jealous of the things that other people have.  Help me to realize with you that I have all that I really need.