Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dorothy Day

Dorothy Day, here is a person that we can learn a lot from.  I just finished reading a short passage about Dorothy Day in "Mirrors of God" by Joseph W. Goetz.  After reading this I wanted to learn more about Dorothy Day, her actions and what we can learn from them.  She is definitely a person to learn and read more about.  Here are three quotes from Dorothy Day that I feel make very strong points in her life and in mine.


I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions.
-Dorothy Day

People say plenty of things much of which they don't believe or care very strongly about.  A person can say that they love Jesus and want to grow closer to him but often times their actions say the exact opposite.  It is easy to say things.  It is harder to actually do what you say.  

Dear Lord, Help me to match my actions to my words so I can work towards your good.



"The greatest challenge of the day is: how to bring about a revolution of the heart."
- Dorothy Day

If a society is really going to change people's hearts need to change not the laws and policies.  If we are going to end abortion we don't need to make it illegal, we need to change people's hearts so they realize that abortion is wrong.  If we are going to assist the poor we don't simply need to create new policies and programs to provide services to the poor we need to change people's hearts so they can love the poor.  If we are going to protect the environment we don't need to create stricter EPA regulations, we need to change people's hearts so they can realize that we are all stewards of the Earth.  In order to truly create a better society and better people we need to change their hearts.  Their hearts need to be directed at you and then everything else will fall into place.

Dear Lord, Help me to change people's hearts so they can recognize your love.



"I really only love God as much as I love the person I love the least."
- Dorothy Day

All human beings are made in the image and likeness of the Lord.  What then is it saying when you hate and fight with another person?  If we are going to truly love the Lord we need to start by truly loving his people.  We can't say that we love the Lord but go on to hate those around us for that is hateful to the Lord.  

Dear Lord, Help me to see your image in everyone that I come into contact with.