Saturday, June 18, 2011

Exodus 31: 13

Exodus 31: 13
"You must also tell the Israelites: Take care to keep my sabbaths, for that is to be the token between you and me throughout the generations, to show that it is I, the Lord, who make you holy."

Again the Lord is telling the Israelites to keep holy the sabbath.  He calls it a token that will be passed down through the generations to mark his people.  This reminds me of stories that I have been told of discrimination to Jews in the 1940's.  One story that I have been told was about job interviews.  They would be asked what holidays they wanted off and the interview would end when they replied that they wanted Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur off.  I also remember hearing stories of how businesses would keep Jews from working there by requiring that they work on Saturdays.  This is an awful form of prejudice and discrimination but I find it interesting that keeping the sabbaths is still a sign of Jews.

Dear Lord, Help me to keep holy your day.