Thursday, August 4, 2011

Psalm 32: 1

Psalm 32:1
Happy the sinner whose fault is removed, whose sin is forgiven.

This verse says it so simply- we are happiest when we don't have sins separating us from the Lord.

We are all sinners.  Our sins separate us for the Lord.  We need our sins removed to grow closer to the Lord.  We can not do this on our own.  We cannot remove our own fault.  We can not forgive our own sins.  But we are all sinners.  Luckily He gave us the sacrament of reconciliation in which Jesus, through the priest, will forgive our sins if we ask for his forgiveness.  This is such an amazing gift that he gave us.  Through reconciliation we have the opportunity to ask for the Lord's forgiveness for our sins and be wiped clean of our sins.  The things separating us from the Lord.  Separating us from our happiness. This is truly amazing!
Then why do we as Catholics often times not take advantage of this.  Yes it can be difficult, intimidating and inconvenient but I feel that the reward is worth it.  Yes you might have to stop what you are doing on a Saturday afternoon and drive to your church.  But having Jesus forgive your sins seems worth it all.  As Catholics we need to make this more of a priority and a routine.  The Sacrament of Reconciliation needs to be a regular part of our lives.

I know I find it very hard.  The only time that my parish offers this sacrament is on Saturday afternoons.  This should work out great since I am never working on a Saturday so I should be able to go to reconciliation often, but there are always other things going on.  It seems like by the time each Saturday afternoon comes around I am doing something.  It doesn't seem worth it to stop what I am doing or schedule it earlier or later, after all I can always go next week, or the next, or the next.  This sets up a bad situation.  Part of me wishes that the sacrament was offered one evening during the week but I'm sure I would find excuses then also.  Maybe when more parishioners start to go to reconciliation my parish will offer it more.  I will make this my goal for the weekend.

I feel if Catholics really understood the power of this sacrament the Church would be packed on Saturday afternoons.  Parishes would start offering the Sacrament throughout the week as well.

Dear Lord, help me to ask for your forgiveness for my sins in the sacrament of reconciliation.  Help me to make this a regular part of my life.