Sunday, August 28, 2011

Romans 12: 2

Romans 12: 2
Do not conform yourself to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.

The beliefs and actions of our society are often times not aligned with the teachings of the Catholic Church.  How do we handle that?  Do we change our way of thinking and sacrifice some of our beliefs to fit into society?  Do we conform as a result of the pressures that are placed on us?  Or do we transform ourselves and those around us with the truth?  

There are so many examples of this in my daily life.  I am at work and everyone is sharing funny stories and jokes, most of which were either gossip or simply inappropriate.  I could conform to this situation; listening, laughing and even sharing stories myself.  Or I could be transformed by truth to remove myself from the situation or say something to stop it from happening.  

But it is so much easier to be conformed by what is around you then to transform it.  

There are countless ways that our society needs to be transformed but that is not going to happen if we continuously let ourselves be conformed to what is wrong.

What are some times when you have let society conform you?  How can we stop this from happening and cause a transformation?

Dear Lord, Help me to not be conformed by society.  Give me the strength and the courage to transform myself and those around me.